Kenya school collapse: Seven dead and dozens injured in Nairobi

Police officers stand on the debris of a collapsed school classroom Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Residents have gathered around the site as rescuers search through the rubble

At least seven children have died after a classroom collapsed at a primary school in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, officials say.

The wooden structure at Precious Talent Top School collapsed just minutes after the start of the school day on Monday.

Dozens of people were injured and have been taken to hospital in the city. Emergency services are at the scene.

Rescuers have reportedly had difficulty getting to the school because of large crowds that have gathered nearby.

"So far we can confirm that we have seven fatalities and 57 others are in hospital," a government spokesman told reporters outside the school in Dagoretti.

The school's director, Moses Ndirangu, has blamed the collapse on the construction of a nearby sewer pipe which he says may have weakened the foundations of the building.

Skip Twitter post by @RobertAlai

Rescuers on the scene but they can’t access it because we have thousands of people here. Police not hear Tom clear ground. Maybe still tweeting. @DCI_Kenya @NPSOfficial_KE pic.twitter.com/lUmTQzxshF

— Robert Alai (@RobertAlai) September 23, 2019

Report

End of Twitter post by @RobertAlai

The incident happened shortly before 07:00 local time (04:00 GMT) and dozens of children were quickly rushed away from the scene.

The Kenya Red Cross has transferred some children to the Kenyatta National Hospital.

Angry locals have complained about the slow emergency response, the BBC's Ferdinand Omondi reports from Nairobi.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption People watch as rescue teams and police officers search the debris

Images on social media show hundreds of residents gathered around the site as rescuers search through the rubble.

Books, desks and chairs can be seen amongst the debris.

The government has opened an investigation into the cause of the accident.

Original Article

Related

Sent to Die in the Mediterranean

The migrant boat that carried more than 70 migrants to their death on Monday was left floating without an engine for days. Smugglers are also taking the unusual risk of sending out boats during rough winter weather. Source: New York Times ® Sent to Die in the Mediterranean